Thursday, July 12, 2007

Why you shouldn't Disclose your little blogging tricks

If you look at the sidebar of this blog you'll notice the "Traffic Pulling Tips Series" section, after writing the first couple of posts for it I began to think, if I let everybody know what I know, maybe the techniques I utilize will become over used, which may lead to the techniques not working as well as they have been so far.

Sounds a little selfish, but if you take a look at some of the other techniques that have been used recently you'll realize what I mean. Such as the community blog roll lists. The first time I joined one of these my technorati ranking went from 200,000 to about 11,000 pretty much over night, with multiple blogs listed as linking to my blog. Recently Technorati changed their whole ranking system, which I think was done in reaction to such techniques. In the last month or so I have joined a couple big blog roll lists thinking that I was going to be able to reproduce the results from the early days, it seems to no longer work.

That example may not be directly related to what I am about to say, but I guess if you have a technique that works for you it would probably work for everyone else and if everyone else did it, it could become useless later on down the track as service react to combat it. So maybe you should hold of from telling the world about your little techniques.

1 comment:

rob stgeorge said...

Its a hard one, I know exactly what you mean. Although sometimes by disclosing what has worked for you (and often its already happened) often you can gain a heap of traffic as well.

I suppose it depends on the subject of your blog as well - if you are blogging about blogging, then you probably need to share - if however you are blogging on a niche topic and have a lot of competition out there you may want to keep it to yourself.